Sunday, January 20, 2013

JFK 20K / MLK 5K - 1/2013

I got there at 8:50, parked, and headed over to the starting line. I asked this kid in the club if that was the 20k start and he says yes.  Some people had already started so I didn't bother to ask anyone else. Once I got to mile 1.6 there was a sign that said "5k turnaround" so I asked this girl there,"do I just keep going if I'm doing the 20k?"  She says, "the 20k starts at 10 a.m".  So I'm like why would that kid say that this was the 20k. It just didn't make sense. I ended up running back and getting some water and fruit before the 20k start.

So now the real deal. I started the 20k and like always I got a bit excited about the race. Yes, sure maybe I went a little bit too fast but what's a guy supposed to do. Yes, I know slow down but I just couldn't do it. Anyway, I was running like I was doing a half and since I had carbo-loaded at HH the night before I didn't think it was a big deal. Well, I carbo-loaded alright but I wasn't really trained to race a half plus I had just raced that 5k. It ended up being a disaster at the end, with some walking and running. I ended up doing 8:06 minute miles on average for the whole thing with a 1:41 time. This was definitely my worse race in months.  There was a lot of walking and soul searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pictures-

Cuba

Day 2: I visited the Museum of Art and the Museum of the Revolution.  This